LAFOLLETTE, TN (WLAF) – Genesis Rehabilitation Therapy Department will be partnering with the Adrion Baird Animal Shelter for Fall Prevention Awareness on Mon., Sept. 23.
In preparation for the event they have shared some information for elderly fall prevention.
Facts about falls:
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans.
- Over half of the falls take place at home.
- One in four Americans 65 and over fall every year.
- Falling is not a normal part of aging. Falls are completely preventable.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall.
- Every 19 minutes, an older adult die from a fall.
Tips to prevent elderly falls:
- Exercise to improve strength and balance. Stay active to keep your legs stronger and lower your chances of falling.
- Have your vision and hearing checked once a year by your doctor. Conditions like glaucoma and cataracts can limit vision.
- Keep your home safe. Remove tripping hazards from stairs and walkways. Use grab bars and non-slip mats in bathrooms. Have handrails and lights installed on all staircases.
- Check medications and side-effects. Some medications can make you dizzy or sleepy, increasing the risk of falling.
- Talk to your doctor. Have the doctor evaluate your risk for falling and tell them if you have fallen in the past year or worry about falling. They may recommend walking aids to maintain mobility.
Donations will be accepted on Sept. 23 in the therapy department for the Baird Animal Shelter between 1 pm and 3 pm. Donations needed are Dawn (blue) dishwashing liquid, Clorox, blankets, canned cat food (Pate brand only) and canned dog food. During this time there will be activities with animals from the shelter, who are adoptable.