The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Humphreys, Madison, Tipton and Union counties on Saturday, May 18.
Tennesseans are encouraged to bring household hazardous waste – including cleaning fluids, pesticides, batteries and more – to a designated drop-off location. A person does not need to live in the county to participate.
The drop-off locations are:
Humphreys County – Humphreys County Fairgrounds, 234 W. Blue Creek Rd., Waverly, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. CDT. The local contact is Jere Corlew at (931) 296-1555.
Madison County – 112 Union St., Jackson, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. CDT. The local contact is Kathleen Huneycutt at (731) 425-8612.
Tipton County – Brighton High School, 8045 Hwy 51 S., Brighton, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. CDT. The local contact is Ruth Wallace at (901) 476 0254.
Union County – Union County Solid Waste Center, 295 Wolfe Rd., Luttrell. The local contact is Becky Munsey at (865) 992-2666.
“We encourage all Tennesseans with eligible materials to participate in this no-cost program,” said TDEC Commissioner David Salyers. “This is a way to dispose of common hazardous materials in an environmentally responsible way.”
Since the program’s inception in 1993, 350,000 Tennessee households have properly disposed of more than 22 million pounds of material.
Household hazardous waste materials are considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals, paint thinner and used needles in sturdy containers. Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics and any empty containers that should be disposed in normal trash.
While household waste may be disposed for free, there is a cost for disposal of Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste (i.e. wastes from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, churches, etc.) An appointment is also necessary. Call (615) 643-3170 to request a price quote and schedule an appointment.
Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE, as it is sometimes called. When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events. Tennesseans are encouraged to contact their local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in their area.
When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets.
For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit  HERE.   (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 05/02/2019-6AM)