TOP: Sarah Cain-Weinburger drives for points in a game last season for Bryan College.
DAYTON, TN (SPECIAL TO WLAF) – The Bryan College Women’s Basketball team was in Summers Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon to face Reinhardt University. Former Campbell County Lady Cougar Sarah Cain-Weinburger had her usual steady performance chalking up a dozen points, five rebounds (two offensive), two assists, along with a steal and a block.
The Lady Lions had already beaten the Eagles earlier in January and were looking to earn a big season sweep against one of the top teams in the Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC). In a game of runs, the Lady Lions jumped out to a 15-4 lead early in the 1st, but the Eagles would go on a 21-8 run themselves for a two-point lead after one quarter. Reinhardt kept rolling with their momentum to build their lead to 10 midway through the 2nd quarter, but Bryan would respond with their own run to go into halftime down 40-41.
The Lady Lions came out of halftime with momentum and build a seven-point lead in the 3rd quarter. The remainder of the game consisted of big shot after big shot by both sides to keep their teams in contention. A dagger corner three by Shayla Ludy put the Lady Lions up 16, and the game was out of reach for the Eagles. Bryan fought hard together to pick up their 13th win of the season and remain undefeated in the AAC.
INSIDE THE BOX
- Karli Combs showed why she is one of the best shooters in the country by going 8-12 from 3pt and finishing with 26 points.
- Kaitlynn Hennessee had a near triple-double with 16 points, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds.
- Sarah Weinburger tallied 12 points and 5 rebounds.
- Destiny Kassner battled hard on the boards all night for a team-high 8 rebounds.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Lady Lions will be back in action on Thursday as they travel up to Union for the first time this season at 5:00PM.
- The Bulldogs are currently the 2nd-place team in the AAC. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 02/08/2021-6AM)