By Charlie Hutson
JACKSBORO, TN (WLAF) – The above picture shows what was left of Campbell County’s third courthouse after the fire on April 13,1926.
This courthouse was built on the same foundation as the second courthouse which there was a fire, and it burned down.
This courthouse served from 1885 until the fire on April 13, 1926, when once again there was a fire. There was a brief period of time in 1903 when the people of Campbell County voted by a 2 to 1 margin to move the courthouse to the new up and coming town of Lafollette.
So in February of 1904, the move was on. Many of the major courthouse offices were being moved to rental space in Lafollette until a courthouse could be built. But as fate would have it, there was a fire. On May 10, 1904, Lafollette caught on fire with much of the town burning down.
So after a very short stay in Lafollette, the courthouse was moved back to Jacksboro where it remains today in the fourth Campbell County Courthouse. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 10/28/2021-6AM-PHOTO COURTESY OF WLAF’S CHARLIE HUTSON)