TOP PHOTO: Come Friday morning, a scene similar to this from January 2021 will most likely be what we see with light snow accumulation and plenty of slippery spots around. The snowfall event will be short lived. However, the dangerously cold temperatures keep us below freezing from Friday morning through lunch time Tuesday.
LAFOLLETTE, TN (WLAF) – The coldest weather to hit Campbell County in decades is expected to arrive while you sleep tonight. Temperatures just before midnight will be in the mid-30s, and as an Arctic blast arrives, it will send readings down to minus one by daybreak on Friday. The dangerously cold conditions persist through Tuesday morning. Here are some tips on staying safe during this rough stretch of weather.
Extreme Cold Safety – General Information
- Minimize travel.
- Stay indoors during the worst part of the extreme cold.
- Keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle if you must travel.
- Check tire pressure, antifreeze levels, heater/defroster, etc.
- Learn how to shut off water valves for potential pipe bursts.
- Check on the elderly.
- Bring pets inside.
How Should I Dress?
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing, and a hat.
- Mittens, snug at the wrist, are better than gloves.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Try to stay dry and out of the wind. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 12/22/2022-6AM)